The mission of the MCIC Computational Biology Laboratory (MCBL) is to build core support and intellectual leadership in the area of bioinformatics to support research at the OARDC. We do not perform customer data analysis, but rather put emphasis on providing guidance and training to faculty and students to analyse their own data. To this purpose, we provide an engaging work environment, space, infrastructure and computational tools for performing research involving biological data analysis. We aspire for the MCBL to become the place to be for learning and performing bioinformatics research, the place where ideas are discussed and exchanged, and students and users learn from each other, and get help and support from our experience staff when needed.
- A dedicated computer laboratory, with eight workstations connected to servers, which are also accessible remotely. The laboratory has audio-visual connectivity.
- (i) Most software and pipelines for genetic data analysis such as sequence read aligners, de novo assemblies, annotations, differential gene expression analysis, microbial communities analysis, metagenomic analysis, etc.; (ii) Custom analytical software and workflows; (iii)a customized version of Galaxy server; and (iv) some commercial software such as CLCBio Workbench and Blast2GO Pro.
- Access to experience staff available for consultation, one-on-one training, assistance with the analysis and for troubleshooting.
- Access to workshops and training sessions organized by the MCBL and to monthly discussion group meeting.
MCBL rources are available to users members:
- MCBL membership is granted to anyone who is interested in performing bioinformatics work at any level
- The MCBL monthly membership fee is $100 per person, and needs to be purchased for a minimum of six months.
- A yearly fee of $2,600 is applied for up to four members from the same laboratory
- All members are expected to follow the rules for the use of the MCBL computational infrastructure and follow network security procedures.
- To become MCBL complete the on-line registration form.
A detailed description of the MCBL resources and tutorials are available at http://mcbl.readthedocs.io/en/latest/mcbl.html, and the rates are posted on our 'Rates' page. For more information please contact MCIC staff.